So where does Yeo Valley get its name? From the river Yeo, which flows through the middle of the valley. The river was dammed to create Blagdon Lake in 1891 and first started pumping water to Bristol in 1904.
The lake was stocked with brown trout and quickly became the home of English stillwater trout fishing. In 1918 the fishing writer HT Sheringham described Blagdon as ‘a delightful place’ that ‘has inspired so many angling rhapsodies’.