1. Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Butter and line the base and sides of two 20cm sandwich tins
2. Beat the butter and sugar together in a large bowl with an electric whisk for 8-10 mins, or until pale and fluffy
3. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition
4. Sift in the flour, baking powder and fold in the yogurt using a large metal spoon to create a dropping consistency
5. Divide the batter between the prepared tins and smooth the tops with spatula.
6. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 25-30 mins, or until golden and firm to the touch. Leave to cool slightly in the tins, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
7. Meanwhile prepare the fruit, cut, wash & dry
8. When the sponge cakes are cool, completely remove the lining papers and place one cake first on the serving plate
9. Using a spoon and a palette knife spread over half the crème fraiche or yogurt, drizzle over compote and a handful of berries
10. Invert the second sponge on top, so the flat base of the sponge is facing up. Top with the remaining crème fraiche or yogurt and sprinkle over the leftover berries.
11. Slice to serve
The cake will keep 2 days maximum if covered and kept in the fridge.