These tasty savoury muffins are a lovely after-school treat for your children – served warm straight from the oven, there’s an oozy chunk of melted cheese in the middle. They make a great lunchbox filler too.
- 300g (10oz) self-raising flour (white or wholemeal)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1tsp sugar
- 75g (3oz) mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 75g (3oz) canned sweetcorn, drained
- 60g (2oz) Yeo Valley Butter
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 150g (5oz) Yeo Valley Greek Style Natural Yogurt
- 175ml (6floz) Yeo Valley Whole Milk
- 1 egg
- 1tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 50g (2oz) mature cheddar cheese, cut into 12 small chunks
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas mark 6. In a bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, grated cheese and sweetcorn.
- Melt the butter then mix in the mustard, yogurt, milk, egg and chives. Pour the cheese mixture into the flour and mix it together a little.
- Lightly grease a 12-hole muffin tin and spoon in a little bit of the batter. Drop a small cube of cheese in the centre of each muffin then top up with the rest of the batter.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden, then slip them out onto a wire rack to cool slightly… they’re best served warm.
You could try a couple of different spins on this recipe, such as:
– use self-raising wholemeal flour for a different flavour and longer-lasting energy.
– lightly fry a couple of rashers of streaky bacon, then chop and add to the muffin mixture before baking.
– swap the sweetcorn for a diced chopped tomato.